Wednesday, October 7, 2009

a spoonful + a pint


I recently hosted a beer tasting with the Ohio Kraft Brew
trio. The get together marked the unveiling of their newest creations: the C.O.C.Wit (coriander, orange peel, and cardamon) and the Rhine Rye (rye and peppercorn).





I wanted to do a food pairing (to help compliment the delicious beer) -- which was also the perfect opportunity to experiment with some new recipes! I created 4 hors d'oeuvres, 2 to be paired with each OKB brew.


On the menu....
Mint, hazelnut pesto with fig and orange on crostini
Manchego and fontina grilled cheese with orange olive tapenade
Suggested OKB pairing: C.O.C.Wit

Gougères with arugula, bacon and pickled onions
Pastrami and caramelized onions with horseradish mustard cream on rye
Suggested OKB pairing:
Rhine Rye


I got several requests for my pesto recipe (my personal favorite), so I thought I'd share. And I plan on posting some of the others as well...

Recipe for
Mint Hazelnut Pesto --

3/4 cup mint
3/4 cup parsley
1/2 cup spinach
1/2 cup manchego cheese
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup hazelnuts (toasted)
1 tbl orange zest
2 tbl orange juice (juice from about 1/2 an orange)
1 cup extra virgin olive oil (or as needed)
s + p (to taste)

I was really happy with how everything turned out and thought the tasting was a huge success (the beers were definitely the star of the show, of course)! Thanks to everyone who made it out for the party!

Photos: Ohio Kraft Brew

No comments:

Post a Comment